The PEFA Handbook is the primary source for user guidance materials for managers, assessors and other stakeholders on PEFA 2016.
The user guidance also includes a glossary of terms and FAQs which will be regularly updated in response to questions, queries and clarifications raised by our PEFA community.
Other guidance on PEFA includes previous versions of the Fieldguide (2012), template forms and discussion papers for use in tracking performance changes over time when an earlier version was used in the previous assessment.
The Secretariat will only support the use of PEFA 2016 for assessments commencing after February 1, 2016 but will provide advice to assessment teams on how to apply previous versions to track change over time.
This handbook provides users (i.e. assessors, managers and other interested stakeholders) with detailed technical guidance on all aspects of PEFA including how to plan, implement and use PEFA 2016.
The handbook is divided into four volumes:
- PEFA Assessment Process – Second edition (Volume I)
- El proceso de las evaluaciones PEFA - secunda edicion (Volume I)
- Le processus d’évaluation PEFA - Deuxième édition (Volume I)
- PEFA Assessment Fieldguide – Second edition (Volume II)
- Guide pratique d’évaluation PEFA (le Fieldguide) - Deuxième édition (Volume II)
- PEFA Guia para la aplicacion practica de las evaluaciones PEFA - secunda edicion (Volume II)
- PEFA Assessment Fieldguide in Arabic language - Second edition (Volume II)
- Preparing the PEFA Report – Second edition (Volume III)
- Template on how to prepare a PEFA Report – Second edition (docx)
- Using PEFA to support public financial management reform (Volume IV) – under update based on Public Consultation
- Utilización del PEFA para respaldar la reforma de la gestión de las finanzas públicas (Volumen IV) - bajo actualización basada en consulta pública
- L’utilisation du PEFA pour les réformes de la gestion des finances publiques (Volume IV) - sous mise à jour qui est basé sur la consultation publique
The Handbook is a dynamic document that will be updated progressively in response to clarifications, improved content and additional information to help users. Each revision will be clearly dated and the changes made will be identified so that people who have used earlier versions will be able to note the differences easily.
The Handbook includes templates and supporting guidelines for designing, managing, and undertaking PEFA assessments. In addition to accessing the templates through the Handbook, the Secretariat has prepare a list of all templates and their links which can be accessed from the link in the heading above.
The link provided in the heading will take you to guidance on how performance changes can be monitored using the same version of PEFA that was applied in the previous assessment.
This page also includes technical guidance provided for previous versions of the framework. These older materials are intended for use only when required to measure performance changes from a previous assessment that used a version of the framework other than PEFA 2016.
The link provided in the heading will take you to questions and answers on all aspects of the PEFA program from the PEFA community. The FAQs will be updated regularly.
If you don’t find what you are looking for, ask you own question here and the PEFA Secretariat will respond.
Watch the animated learning tutorials to learn more about PEFA, PEFA assessment process, and PEFA quality assurance arrangements. Then take the quizzes to test your knowledge.