Please join PEFA Secretariat for a presentation and discussion about PEFA and public financial management reforms at the World Bank Headquarters in Washington DC on Wednesday, March 20 at 9.00 – 10.30 AM ET in room MC 7-424.
WHAT IS THE CONTENT?
Countries undertake Public Expenditure and Financial Accountability (PEFA) assessments to guide and facilitate public financial management (PFM) reform design, implementation and monitoring. This event will showcase how PEFA assessment processes have been used in Afghanistan and Zambia to inform and guide PFM reforms and mobilize coalitions for change and impact. The event will also introduce new guidance from the PEFA secretariat on how to use PEFA assessment processes and reports for PFM reforms.
Afghanistan is using its PEFA assessment to design and monitor its Fiscal Performance Improvement Plan (FPIP) - country’s PFM reform program. The reform measures in FPIP are linked to PEFA indicators/dimensions with current scores as the baseline and aspirational scores set as the targets. Annually, the plans are prepared with targets to improve PEFA scores and quality assured by a third party. At the end of the year, each department does a self-evaluation which is validated by independent validators.
Zambia benefitted from its PEFA assessments for PFM reforms from the early days of PEFA framework. Zambia has conducted PEFA assessments in 2005, 2008, and 2017 with the latest one carried out jointly by the assessment team comprising of officials from the government and the World Bank. Zambia also developed a new PFM Reform Strategy (2019-23) informed by the 2017 PEFA assessment. The results of the PEFA assessment received highest levels of attention at the President’s Office. PFM reforms in Zambia are led and closely monitored by the Finance Minister.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
- You will learn from practitioners how to use PEFA for designing and monitoring implementation of PFM reforms.
- You will get inspiration on how to engage with clients and ensure that they are in the driver’s seat.
- You will know where to look for guidance and inspiration.
WHO IS PRESENTING?
- Mumba Chanda, Director, Ministry of Finance, & Head of PFM Reform Unit, Republic of Zambia
- Hameed Sherani, Director, Performance Management and Fiscal Reforms, Ministry of Finance, Afghanistan
- Syed Waseem Abbas Kazmi, Sr Financial Management Specialist, The World Bank
- Srinivas Gurazada, Sr Financial Management Specialist, The World Bank
- Helena Maria Grandao Ramos, Senior Public Sector Specialist, PEFA Secretariat
- Adenike Sherifat Oyeyiola, Practice Manager, The World Bank
- Fily Sissoko Practice Manager, The World Bank